This book has been a great success, being used as a text book on Homiletics all over the U.S.A. It has passed through some dozens of editions, and has been adopted by numerous theological seminaries of various denominations. Besides this, thousands of ministers have bought it and used it in their service to God. In addition, it has been used in Protestant missions, in Japan, and China. It was translated into Portuguese for missions in Brazil. It is still very much used today.
This work is very thorough. The comments are relatively brief, but the detail is still sufficient for the needs of ministers, whether beginners or experienced. After the introduction dealing generally with the subject, requirements for effective preaching, rules of rhetoric, etc., are these:
1. Selection of the text, importance of selection, and rules for same.
2. Interpretation: must be done strictly, some sources of error.
3. Various types of subjects that may be chosen; how to use them.
4. Sermons for Particular Occasions; text sermons, expository, etc.
5. Suggestions for materials, helps to freshness; avoid sensational.
6. The use of Argument in Preaching; how to choose, to proceed.
7. Illustrations, and their uses; sources, cautions in their uses.
8. Arrangement, its importance; study the effect desired, audience.
9. Parts to a Sermon: introduction, discussion, conclusion.
10. General Observations on Style; how to improve style.
11. Importance of clearness in style, elegance, energy, uses.
12. The Use of Imagination in Preaching; how to cultivate it.
13. Delivery of Sermons; the history, reading, extemporaneous.
14. Instructions on Achieving Power in Voice, management of it.
15. The Conduct of Public Worship; its parts, its atmosphere.
''The great appointed means of spreading the good tidings of salvation through Christ is preaching; words spoken, whether to the individual, to the assembly. And this, nothing can supersede it. But printing can never take the place of the living Word. When a man who is apt in teaching, whose soul is on fire with the truth which he trusts has saved him, and hopes will save others, speaks face to face, eye to eye, and electric sympathies flash to and fro, all are borne on chariots of fire.''
Broadus (1827-1895) was a Baptist minister, author, and seminary professor. Though he never attended a seminary, he became a noted preacher and teacher. 248 pages, blue linen hard cover
Product Code: 158960007X